TCS Finance Manager Job Description
The TCS Finance Manager will play an integral role in the customer service and organizational strength of Tri-Community South (TCS) EMS’s financial operations. The TCS Finance Manager will provide a variety of complex financial and administrative functions related to office procedures and billing of emergency medical service (EMS) transports and non-emergency (NETS) transports while maintaining the confidentiality inherent to the emergency medical services field. The TCS Finance Manager will effectively reflect the professionalism of TCS, which represents the Municipality of Bethel Park, the Township of South Park, and the Township of Upper St. Clair.
Qualified candidates will have impeccable verbal and written communication skills, a strong ability to multi-task, and a friendly demeanor. The most qualified candidates will have a background in finance, economics, accounting, or business administration, as well as experience with non-profit budgeting and accounting and/or medical billing.
This position reports to and work is assigned by the TCS Administrative Committee, with oversight and day-to-day management provided by the Upper St. Clair Finance Director. The person in this position will be located within Upper St. Clair’s Finance Department, with the expectation that the role will evolve as collaboration with the Chief of Operations grows and work will take place at both Upper St. Clair and TCS Headquarters.
Assignments are often carried out under supervision by and at the direction of Upper St. Clair’s Finance Director; however, independent work is required. The employee is expected to learn standard organization operations without constant direct supervision after gaining a working knowledge of the expected protocols.
Work is performed during regularly scheduled hours and may involve additional hours as needed. The position is exempt under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field. Two (2) years of progressively responsible medical billing experience along with an Associate’s Degree could be substituted for the Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3-5 years of experience in financial management and/or financial analysis, preferably in a medical or non-profit setting.
- Excellent business judgment, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel is required. Basic knowledge of other Microsoft Office programs is sufficient.
- Ability to synthesize large quantities of complex data into actionable information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and municipal officials.
- Ability to professionally handle angry or difficult customers.
- Ability to type proficiently on a computer keyboard.
- Ability to write, read, and speak the English language fluently.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
- The selected candidate must successfully pass background and financial investigations conducted by the organization with respect to any criminal and/or driver’s license history of the candidate that may jeopardize the organization or the partner municipalities, considering the daily contact the successful candidate will have with municipal information.
- Pass drug test; prior to hiring.
- Monitor TCS’s day-to-day financial operations (budgeting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank activity, payroll, and other transactions). Monitor service activities to assure specific line-item budget compliance.
- Work collaboratively with the Chief of EMS Operations to coordinate the organization’s financial processes.
- Oversee medical billing process including the review of financial reports, coordination of trip sheet review with Supervisors, coordination with external medical billing provider.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly management reporting.
- Manage TCS’s financial accounting, monitoring, and reporting systems.
- Review and analyze all TCS patient accounts for accuracy and refigure accounts found to be improper.
- Regularly review reports provided by the external medical billing provider and swiftly address any performance concerns.
- Manage the annual subscription drive, including coordination with vendor to prepare mailing, entering subscription data into subscription software, reconciling and reporting.
- Manage CPR Training Center finances, including the coordination of payments to/from internal and external instructors, registration and payment processing, and reconciliation of payments/deposits.
- Initiate the organization’s accounts payable and receivable activity and assist in the reconciliation process.
- Research, write, and apply to grant funding opportunities.
- Make billing/write-off determinations based on policies (with input from Chief).
- Pursue collection of delinquent accounts from outside billing agency to include preparation and mailing of final notices and customer follow-up.
- Refer outside accounts to the Chief for collection agency. Work with CPR coordinator to track invoices for outstanding Training Center accounts.
- Prepare letters to legal services for billing and HIPPA compliance for release of medical documentation.
- Maintain database for employee uniforms and uniform allowance.
- Prepare invoices and follow up billing for outside details provided by TCS, including any public service detail for school districts and municipalities.
- Prepare and coordinate all Worker’s Compensation files/claims as directed by the Chief for submission to the HR Manager for the Township of Upper St. Clair.
- Compile information packet for monthly Administrative Committee meetings with the Chief and Supervisors.
- Respond to customer emails and phone calls concerning billing and services associated with invoices, insurance reimbursements, third party insurance inquiries, complaints, and insurance denials. Works in cooperation with external medical billing agency to attain this information.
- Act as a liaison between the Chief and the Administrative Committee on financial matters.
- Participate in strategic data analysis, research, and financial modeling for senior company leadership.
- Support project analysis, validation of plans, and ad-hoc requests.
- Participate in the annual financial statement audit conducted by the external audit firm.
- Ensure compliance with any financial reporting requirements for internal, grant, and/or regulatory purposes.
- Attend seminars, workshops, and other trainings related to responsibilities.
- All other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, equipment, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee will be expected to travel between Upper St. Clair’s finance office at its Municipal Building and the TCS headquarters in Bethel Park on a regular basis, spending approximately 50% of the work week at Upper St. Clair and approximately 50% of the week at TCS headquarters.
The noise level in the work environment at the Upper St. Clair Municipal Building is usually quiet and at TCS Headquarters is moderately noisy and typical of an emergency response provider, including emergency sirens, radio alerts and vehicle backup alarms.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.